The Ordinary | Products I Love & The Ones I Won’t Be Buying Again

I started using The Ordinary about 2 months ago, and while this is one of my favorite skincare brands ever, there are some products I will not be buying again.

So, let me start with the products I absolutely love and will be buying again and again. Like the AHA 30% + DHA Peeling Solution. I am already on my second bottle and just got 3 more because Sephora is having their insider SALE.

Love, love, love this peeling solution, and while yes, it does sting when you apply it, the results after 2 month using it are absolutely extraordinary. It helped to even out my skin tone, and the dark spots (the really stubborn ones I have on the side of my cheeks) faded considerably. Quick note: please, please, please don’t overuse this product. It’s designed to be used no more than twice a week and while using it more will not give you faster results, you can definitely create some major irritation. Another tip: you will have to wear sunblock all the time. Sunblock is of course a must regardless, but especially necessary when you’re using peeling products. Your skin is much more sensitive, which means it is more prone to sun damage. So, say yes to sunblock!

Another love, is the Salicylic Acid 2% Mask. My skin is on the oilier side, especially around my t-zone and while I don’t break out all the time, it happens. This mask really helps to heal breakouts faster and also takes care of the oilier parts of my skin. For example, when my skin feels a bit more oily than usual, I apply the mask for about 10 minutes and it helps to balance out the oily areas.

The Buffet is yet another product I will be buying again and again. I noticed a big improvement in terms of the texture of my skin. It’s much more smooth and the tiny little bumps I had on the sides of my cheeks are practically gone. I also love the fact that this product is hydrating. It feels really nice going on and gives your skin a smooth, sort of plump appearance. Love that!

I’ve always done well with Glycolic acid. Like I said before, my skin is naturally on the oilier side, so I do really well with AHA’s. But the Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution is just on another level. It lifts the dead skin like nothing else, and gives your face this really smooth, glowing appearance. Though it is definitely ok to use everyday, I actually use it about 3 times a week, before bedtime and love the difference I’m seeing.

The Buffet + Copper Peptides 1% is yet another product that works really well for me. I use it about 2-3 times a week before bedtime when I’m not using my retinol and always wake up with a brighter, fresher face.

Last but certainly not least is the Alpha Arbutin 2% + HA. As I mentioned earlier, I have some hyperpigmentation I’ve beenattepting to get rid of for years. I’ve tried different methods, including laser and that didn’t make very much of a difference. This, on the other hand, combined with AHA 30% + DHA Peeling Solution, retinol, and consistent use of sunblock is definitely making a difference. I actually like to use this product as a spot treatment on the areas where I have dark spots and hyperpigmentation.

Now, on to the products I didn’t love quite as much. First is The Cleanser… I really wanted to love it. I was actually looking for a good make-up removing cleanser (kind of the first step in the double cleansing system) but it didn’t remove my make-up at all. I always ended up with raccoon eyes, smeared mascara and most of my eyebrow game still in tact. So, definitely will not be buying this again.

This was actually quite surprising because everyone loves the Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%. But it was unfortunately a hard no for me. While it is supposed to improve the texture of your skin, I didn’t notice a difference at all. I gave it a fair shot, used it consistently for a month, and still nothing. So, definitely will not be buying again.

The last product I am not entirely crazy about is the Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion. Once again, after using it for about a month, I haven’t seen very much difference at all. Usually, I do very well with Retinols, and since I use them pretty regularly, I always notice a familiar pattern. Normally, when I start a new Retinol, I get a bit of peeling and then once my skin gets acclimatized to the product, the peeling stops and I am left with fresher, brighter looking skin. This didn’t happen with the Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion. I simply didn’t see anything at all. So sadly, it’s another no for me.

Since I talked about the products from The Ordinary I didn’t love, I wanted to give a few alternatives that are working better for me. First, is the Renewing SA Cleanser, while it’s not a make-up removing cleanser (this would be a step 2 in the double cleanse system) this is my Holy Grail cleanser for oily skin. It gets the job done, yet your face doesn’t feel dry or tight after! Second is the Resurfacing Retinol, which is my other favorite product of all time. A great introductory Retinol, it’s very gentle yet effective. Minimal peeling (which is normal when you first start using a Retinol)  but it definitely works to brighten and tone, and also fade dark spots. Last, is the Centella Unscented Serum. A huge fan of Korean skincare in general, I love this Niacinamide treatment. I’ve been using this for about 2 weeks and did notice improvement in the texture of my skin, and overall appearance.

The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution, Buffet, Salicylic Acid 2% Masque, Squalane Cleanser, Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%, Granactive Retinoid* 2% EmulsionAlpha Arbutin 2% + HA, Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution, and “Buffet” + Copper Peptides 1% | CeraVe Renewing SA Cleanser, Resurfacing Retinol Serum, and Hydrating Facial Cleanser | Purito Centella Unscented Serum

Subscribe to receive free email updates: