Lost in French Menu Translation in Verdun: Who Wants Pig’s Feet?

The Dutchman and I have a love and hate relationship with France. We liked going to the French Alps for our winter sports holiday and to a few places as well. I know for myself that there are a number of regions, cities and towns that I would like to explore in the south of France. But I am not rushing, I will get to see and experience them one at a time =)

Last week, we went on a 4-day little trip to Verdun, France to visit the battlefields, the war monuments and the cemeteries.


Lost in French menu translation case: I ordered pork but not pig's feet?

But there are certain things that we do not look forward to in France. In general, French people are not very helpful at all and will insist on speaking French even if they know damn right that you are a tourist and you do not speak the local language. People will just continue speaking French even if you said NO FRENCH. Non parlez-vous Francais!

There are of course exemptions to this notorious stereotype but we have been coming and going to France, for years already, that this has become a very predictable issue that we have to live with during our visits, every single time. So this is definitely not a one-off or a few times case only.

Do we need to learn the language to correct this? Hell, no. But I can learn a few words and phrases which I always do in every country I visit anyway. Just the same for French people visiting the Netherlands, I would not expect them to speak Dutch. Does that make sense at all?

[To read the rest of the post and see more pictures, click the READ MORE link below]

Read more »

Subscribe to receive free email updates: